Vegan Maple & Coffee Cakes
These delicious vegan coffee cakes are moist with a shot of maple and have the crunch of walnuts. The recipe was generously shared by Catherine Carr at Gently Vegan.
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 20 mils egg replacement
- 1 1/2 cups X X Espresso cold brew coffee with almond milk. (Califia Farms)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 80g ( approx. 2/3 cup) chopped up walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar
- 6 teaspoons Califia Farms concentrated cold brew coffee * note this doesn’t have almond milk in it. if you can’t get this use an instant coffee mixed with boiling water and cooled.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts.
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix coconut sugar, cinnamon, flour and baking powder.
- In a separate small bowl mix egg replacement and coffee almond milk, whisk well to combine.
- Let sit for five minutes, should thicken to a binding mix.
- Then add oil and maple syrup to dry mix.
- Give egg replacement mix another quick whisk.
- Add this to dry mix too.
- Now stir all ingredients together to form a smooth batter.
- Lastly add the walnuts, stir well so they are distributed evenly through the batter.
- Divide batter into a 12 hole small cupcake tray.
- Cook for 30 minutes, cakes will spring back with a touch test if fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and let sit in the tray for 10 minutes.
- Remove from tray and put on a baking rack to cool.
- Once fully cooled make icing.
- Using 1 1/2 cups of pure icing sugar add a round 6 teaspoons of Califia Farms concentrated cold brew coffee.
- Add the teaspoons slowly and mix with a flat knife, there is no fat so the icing needs to be thick enough to use but not quiet set.
- Top each cake with icing and sprinkle with the chopped walnuts as you go.
These freeze really well so can be used for week day lunches. However they are beautiful for a girl friends morning tea.
Recipe by Catherine Carr