Dutch Carrot & Lentil Salad
served on the new Caviar Speckle collection from Maxwell & Williams
Enjoy this light and easy vegetarian salad as a filling and satisfying main or a vibrant side dish. Tender lentils are mixed in with roasted carrots and beets and topped with creamy feta, smooth yoghurt and crunchy almonds to create a beautifully balanced dish.
Serves: 4 Prep: 15mins Cook: 30mins
For the salad:
- 11⁄2 cups French green lentils (Du Puy, rinsed)
- 1 small brown onion, quartered
- Fine sea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1 bunch yellow beetroot, scrubbed, trimmed
- and cut into wedges
- 1 bunch carrots, scrubbed, trimmed and
- halved lengthwise or cut into 1.5cm slices (if large)
- 3 tbps olive oil, more as needed
- 1 bay leaf
For the dressing:
- 1 cup plain full-fat yoghurt
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice, more as needed
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish • 1⁄4 cup dill, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 110g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- Position a rack in the centre of the oven and preheat to 180 C (160 C fan-forced)
- Place the lentils in a medium saucepan, over with 10cm of water and add the onion and bay leaf. Place over high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the lentils and tender but still holding their shape, this will take ap- proximately 20-30 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of salt toward the end of the cooking time, and more water if needed. Drain the lentils and discard the bay leaf, retaining the onion.
- Meanwhile, toss beets and carrots with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1⁄2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until browned and tender, tossing them halfway through cooking. Add the cooked onion at the halfway point.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, chopped parsley and dill, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- When ready to serve, toss the lentils with a drizzle of olive oil, a good squeeze of lemon, and salt and pepper to taste. Place the lentils on your favourite platter (we love Maxwell & Williams) and top with the roasted vegetables, feta, extra herbs and almonds. Drizzle with yoghurt sauce.