Part 2 of my Hemp Series featuring https://www.hempfoods.com.au/ is a family favourite of ours. Burgers are huge in Australia and often times, us vegetarians get stuck with the same old boring patty burgers that are so bland it hurts. Here's a recipe to make veggie burgers that don't suck!
Hemp & Tofu Burgers
- ½ cup hemp foods Australia Hemp seeds
- ½ cup warm hemp milk
- 225 g tofu
- 1 cup cooked black-eye beans
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon hemp flour
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon Tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 splash olive oil
- See steps 5 & 6 for serving suggestions.
- Place hemp seeds in a small frying pan over a medium heat. Lightly toast hemp seeds, stirring frequently to ensure they don’t burn. Grind the hemp seeds with a mortar and pestle and then soak in the heated milk for 10-15 minutes.
- Mash tofu with the beans, onion, celery, garlic, parsley, yeast flakes, tamari and tomato paste.
- Shape mixture into burger or sausage shapes. Dip the burgers in the hemp flour and set aside on a plate.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through.
- Place in a large cabbage leaf or sheet of nori, then in a freshly made hemp (or your preferred) bread roll and cover with a thin layer of hemp (or your preferred) cheese.
- Add hemp ketchup (or other sauce) to taste.
- Serve with a large salad of lettuce and cucumber.