These delicious little Christmas cakes are a treat from Jamaica Blue. They are petit and packed for of decadent flavour, which makes them the perfect addition to any Christmas feast!
Makes: 9 Little Cakes
½ tsp Ground cinnamon
½ tsp Ground nutmeg
½ tsp Ground cloves
½ tsp Salt
1 ½ tsp Vanilla essence
1 tbsp. Brown sugar
400g Fruit mincemeat
110g Prunes - pitted & roughly chopped
50g Glace cherries – roughly chopped
175g Dried mixed fruit
50g Almonds - slivered
Zest of one lemon
Zest of one orange
For the Cake
250g Self raising flour
2 tsp Baking powder
250g Brown sugar
36 Glace cherries
¼ cup Dried cranberries
2 Egg whites
420gm Icing sugar
20mls Hot water
- Pre-soak fruit and spices overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Heat oven to 170C.
- Grease well 9-holes of a 12 cup loose base round dessert pan – cup 7.5cm x 5cm – pan 39cm x 28cm (Texan muffin pans can also be used).
- Sift the flour & baking powder into a large bowl.
- Then add the butter, sugar and eggs. Beat with an electric beater until everything is smooth and fluffy.
- Now gradually fold in the pre-soaked fruit mixture.
- Spoon into prepared holes.
- Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 40 minutes.
- Place the egg whites in a bowl.
- Use a whisk to lightly beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Sift icing sugar over the egg whites and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add hot water for correct consistency.
- Place four glacé cherries onto the cake tops. Then sprinkle each with the dried cranberries.E
- Drizzle icing over all the little cakes allowing it to run slightly. Allow to set for 10 minutes.
- Store cake in an airtight container in the fridge.
This delicious recipe is from Classics With A Twist (RRP$19.95) is available in store now at Jamaica Blue cafe.