This is a deliciously creamy cheesecake but with a difference: it’s dairy free and vegan. The decedent creaminess comes from the avocados, and the sprinkling of vibrant matcha powder makes it a beautiful dinner party dessert with incredible health benefits.
The matcha-making process retains all the superfood qualities of the green tea leaf, by grinding the entire leaf into a fine powder. Because of this, matcha contains 137 times the antioxidants of standard green tea, and you’ll receive fantastic health benefits including improved concentration, increased energy levels, and a boost in metabolism.
This “cheesecake” recipe uses matcha from Zen Green Tea. They source the highest quality matcha directly from sustainable farms in Japan, and you can read more about their matcha health benefits here.
Vegan Matcha “Cheesecake”
with Matcha by Zen Green Tea
For the base
- ½ cup pistachios or almonds (the choice is yours)
- 3 medium-sized dates (pitted)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the filling
- 2 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup cashews (soak in water for 2-3 hours, then rinse and drain)
- 2 ½ teaspoons matcha (I use Zen Green Tea)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon matcha for dusting
For this recipe you will need a lined 4-inch round tin.
- Start with the base by mixing all the base ingredients together in a blender until you’ve got a fine crumb.
- Pour into the tin and press down firmly and evenly. Refrigerate to firm up the base.
- Next, create the filling. Scoop the flesh out of the avocados and add them to the blender with all the ingredients apart from the coconut oil.
- Once blended into a smooth mixture, add the coconut oil and blend for a few more minutes.
- Take your base from the fridge and pour the filling on top. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Just before serving, lightly dust the top with the matcha.
Note: for this recipe it is very important to use high quality matcha green tea powder. You’ll receive the most health benefits this way, and you’ll enjoy a better flavour as low quality matcha can be very bitter. We love Aussie brand Zen Green Tea who source their premium matcha green tea powder from sustainable farms in Japan.