For the filling:
4-5 large Granny Smith apples
1 cup of frozen mixed berries
2 bottles of Cider (reserve half a bottle to drink yourself whilst cooking)
100g Caster Sugar
For the topping:
100g brown sugar
100g plain flour
50g rolled oats
50g shredded coconut
1 tsp cinnamon
- Heat oven to 180c (fan forced) or 200c (regular)
- Peel the apples and chop into chunks (around 3-4cm)
- Pour the sugar over the apples and cover them with the cider.
- Bring to a simmer over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Apples should just soften but still have a slight crunch.
- Meanwhile, make the crumble: place all dry ingredients into a bowl and rub the butter through with your fingertips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs and holds together when pressed.
- Drain the apples (drink the left over cider) and put them in an oven-proof dish. Sprinkle over the frozen berries.
- Cover the apples and berries with the crumble topping.
- Put the crumble in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve with cream or ice-cream.